Hi everybody. I need to use exec() to run a background php script, but it's not working properly. Take a look at this sample:

a.php
   <?

   echo ' File A (1) ';

   exec('php b.php > output.txt &');

   echo ' File A (2) ';

   ?>

b.php
   <?

   echo 'File B';

   ?>

output.txt (begins with 64 null bytes before the following)
    File A (2)

I would expect the output's content to be "File B", but it's not happening. I came across this problem because I have a mailing application which stopped working after being moved to a new host. The messages were sent by a background script launched on user's demand. Like this:

SendMessages.php
   <?
      exec('php Daemon.php -x ' . $USERID . ' > /dev/null &');
   ?>

Now it won't work, and I got no clue about what's going on. What now?

Thank you.