I'm trying to write a simple weblog script, but I've encountered a
perplexing problem.  I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple.

I'm trying to take <textarea> form input, parse it, and wrap it in <p> tags.
The problem is removing extra carriage returns.  I'm sure there's a problem
with the "if ($sentence != ' ')", but I don't know what the right
conditional statement is.  No matter what I put in there, it keeps
processing any extra blank lines and putting an extra pair of "<p></p>" tags
in.  Granted, this doesn't effect the way the page is displayed.  For
correctness sake, I'd rather not have them in there.

Here's the simple page I threw together to illustrate the problem:

<?php
if ($submit) {

        $funk = explode("\n", $paragraph);
        foreach ($funk as $key => $sentence) {
                if ($sentence != ' ')) {
                        $funk[$key] = "<p>" . $sentence . "</p>\n";
                        echo $funk[$key];

} else {
?>
        <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Mangle This">
        </form></p>
<?php
}
?>