At 6:50 PM +0100 10/7/10, a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk wrote:
Surely it would have been a bit more sensible to work out the time the programmer had spent on the project and then calculate it as a percentage of the total time that programmer would spend on it to complete it (which might not be the whole duration of the project)

Also, counting code lines seems unfair. I know it used to be this way, but its a bit like paying firemen based on the number of fires they put out; don't be surprised if arson figures go up!

I would guess though that this fellow likely had to pay some of that initial outlay of cash back though, and would further assume the total price attributed to each line was no more than 3 or 4 cents (damb English androids don't have the cent character)

Thanks,
Ash

As I said, this was a case that I worked on several years ago (20+). I was not the programmer, but rather a consultant for an attorney.

The programmer wanted to have his payment based upon the hours he put it, but the client wanted proof of the programmers effort. Both were understandable positions.

Considering that the programmers effort did not work, and there were no time clocks showing the actual hours the programmer worked, the solution centered on an evaluation of the end-product. That evaluation reduced to the amount of code written, which boiled down to lines of code.

Granted, as Rob said, some lines are worth more than others, but overall a case was made to pay a certain amount per line.

Now, back to the question at hand -- what price would you sell a line of your code for?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------