On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM, David Harkness
<davi...@highgearmedia.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Tommy Pham <tommy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hmm..  About 8-9 years ago I did a project where I used the reference
>> in a foreach loop as the OP.  unset not only remove the variable but
>> also the value in the array.  I tried several methods at that time and
>> ended up assigning null to get what I wanted without modifying the
>> array.  I'll have to dig up that project later to see.
>
> To be thorough, I ran the same test as above using unset(), and it correctly
> clears the reference and leaves $x in tact.
>
>     $x = 5;
>     $y = &$x;
>     unset($y);
>     var_dump($x);
>     --> 5
>     var_dump($y);
>     --> NULL
>
> It's quite possible this behavior was changed along the way. I started using
> PHP last year with 5.2.
>
> David

Hi David,

IIRC, I think at that time, PHP5 was still fresh.  I remember a lot of
the open source projects were written with PHP4 compatibility.  I
don't remember if that particular project of mine was written for PHP4
or 5.  Any case, changes are good to an extent :).  I also did confirm
prior to your previous email, right after Gary showed me that quote
from the manual.  I'll have to remember that from now on :).

Thanks,
Tommy