Hello Richard,

thank you for the prompt reply. I just tried to follow your suggestion, but
i couldn't solve my problem:

1. I  have started the server with user "nobody". All the binaries i was
trying to execute(e.g. /bin/ls) were "chown"-ed to the user "nobody"
Problem presisted. Than i "chown" -ed /var/www to the user "nobody". Than
the php and php-cgi interpreters as well- same thing.
I tried the same with users "adm" and even "root"

2. I than gave the executables all the permissions possible("777"- i know it
is dangerous, but i am just testing)- still nothing.
 I copied the binaries from /bin to /var/www and tried to execute them
with all kinds of permissions and "chown"'s- didn't work

3. Than i moved to the command line interpreter: i tried to execute it in
/var/www and in the home folder. The permissions were also adjusted. I
executed it with root privileges- i always get "Segmentation fault". One
more thing- if i omit the arguments in shell_exec( "$output = shell_exec();)
i get "Missing parameters" but no "Segmentation fault"

Boyan