I'm currently trying to parse a document with DOMDocument, and I'm
having some serious problems. I created a script that runs fine on php
5.2.9, ripping out content using DOMNode::nodeValue. The same script
fails to get any content on php 5.3.3 - even though it correctly
navigates to the proper nodes to extract content.

Basically, the code used looks like this:

$dom = new DOMDocument();
$dom->loadHTML($data);
$dom->preserveWhiteSpace = false;
$xpath = new DOMXpath($dom);
$nodelist = $xpath->query($query);
$value = $nodelist->item(0)->nodeValue;

I've checked to make sure that item(0) is in fact a node - it's there
and even of the right type (a td - table cell), but nodeValue is
empty.

The script works on some documents but not others (on 5.3.3 - some
checking suggests a doctype of xhtml might be involved in the problem
but I tried ripping the doctype out and had no difference) - on 5.2.9
it works on all documents, returning the proper nodeValue.

Am I missing something basic?

TIA
Peter

--