On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 20:27 -0500, Bastien wrote:

> On 2010-11-26, at 7:33 PM, Adam Richardson <simples...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Kirk Bailey
> > <kbai...@howlermonkey.net>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all, my name is Kirk Bailey, and I am new to php, so please be
> >> forbearing. I code in python, and am trying to learn this language as our
> >> new client runs a web business based in it.
> >>
> >> I need a routine that will return a list of every directory immediately
> >> under the current directory- but nothing else, just a list of directories,
> >> 1
> >> level deep, NO FILES, no listing of current dir or prior dir either.
> >>
> >> Now in python, I would use os.walk, and use the list of dirs and throw the
> >> other 2 lists away, but this ain't Kansas anymore. Does php even DO lists?
> >>
> >> Um, a list is a 1 dimenional array, if have a list ALIST and you plug in 3,
> >> you get back the contents of cell 3 in the list, whaqtever that content is.
> >> so if cell 3 in a 6 celled list was "Ruby" then ALIST[3] would return the
> >> string "ruby".
> >>
> >> It's easy to iterate lists. For instance:
> >>
> >>  print '<ul>'
> >>  for dir in ALIST:
> >>  print '</ul>
> >>
> >> This would let me produce an ordered list of directories, each a link to
> >> that directory.
> >> This way, when a client installs a new product, the home page area listing
> >> products offered automatically updates.
> >>
> >> Further embellishment would let me replace the dir name with a BRIEF
> >> description from a descriptor file read from that dir. Now how to do this
> >> in
> >> php?
> >>
> >> --
> >> end
> >>
> >> Very Truly yours,
> >>               - Kirk Bailey,
> >>                 Largo Florida
> >>
> >>                     kniht                        +-----+
> >>    | BOX |                       +-----+                        think
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > To get you started:
> >
> > function get_directories($path)
> > {
> >   $files_and_dirs = scandir($path);
> >   $dirs = array_filter($files_and_dirs, function($elem) { return
> > is_dir($elem); });
> >   // $dirs also contains "." and "..", but you can get rid of them quite
> > easily
> >   return $dirs;
> > }
> >
> > Happy coding :)
> >
> > Adam
> >
> > --
> > Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
> > http://nephtaliproject.com
>

> Code igniter, a php framework can do this with one call. It could be worth
> looking into
>
> Bastien Koert
> 905-904-0334
> Sent from my iPhone

I'm not sure CodeIgniter would be of any help here. I don't recall any
function in the CodeIgniter framework that lists directories like this,
so he'd still have to end up coding it himself.

Also, python tends to be used more for command line stuff than websites.
CodeIgniter does have a CLI extension, but the app would just be
severely bloated running an entire PHP framework for what might only
need a light script. Bit like using a sledgehammer to hammer in a thumb
tack, can be done, but not really the best tool for the job.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk