On Jan 13, 2011, at 8:53 PM, Daevid Vincent wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: li...@pruimphotography.com [mailto:li...@pruimphotography.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:50 PM
To: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP] A bad design decision or pure genius?

Hey Everyone,

I have a question about php & javascript... Yes I know this forum is
for php BUT I needed an opinion on where to look for stuff...

I have a application that I'm working on that uses google maps to
display interactive maps (using javascript) on the website. I
now have
the need to display multiple maps on the same page and from
what I can
tell I have to create new instances and variables for all of them...

What I'm wondering is since I know very little javascript
would it be
bad to create a PHP function to write the java code for the proper
number of maps I need to display? The map info is being
pulled from a
database where events are being added and could contain 2 or
200 maps...

Or should I learn javascript and figure out how to create a loop in
there so that I can just loop it in the java and not repeat code?

Thanks for any assistance you can give!

Jason Pruim
pru...@gmail.com

Not sure why you would need to show more than a single map at any given time. Therefore why not use PHP to show a list of possible maps and when
the user clicks on one, use AJAX to populate a single map on demand?

Hey Daevid,

That is a great idea... The only issue is i don't know ajax yet :)

But it's on my list of things to do this year!

What I ended up doing is just putting a static image in which is generated automatically by google on the fly using the GPS coordinates that I supply, it places a marker on the image, and then it links into a full map where you can pan, zoom, get directions etc. etc.

So just needed to think out side the box a little bit!

And... For the archives... YES that would have been a bad design decision. It was a crutch to get me through until I can learn more javascript and start mastering that.

Thanks for the help! :)