On 1/15/2011 10:51 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 11:13 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:

>>> So the second one is right.
>>
>>      His point was in the irony --- you sent a rather insulting message
>> to the OP suggesting he needs to "revise [his] sysadmin skills,"
>> whereas your own example was broken.  Probably just a typo, but
>> something worth a second thought for next time.
>>

> hahaha, that command wasn't broken. It works on Linux. But certain commands
> have
> to be changed to work on *BSD.
>
> For example, chmod u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory -R will work on linux, but will
> not
> on FreeBSD. It has to be changed to chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwx,o= directory.

Ok, are you trying to pull our chain here???  Which version of Linux?  I have
tried your example on CentOS release 4.2 (Final), and CentOS release 5.5
(Final), and it gives me this

# grep -l mail $(find -name *.php)
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]

and it just sits there waiting for input, just like grep would if I did this

# grep -l mail

I have to surround the name value in quotes to make it work.  Like so...

# grep -l mail $(find -name "*.php")

So, please, within what version of Linux does your example work?

If you are going to give advice and want to contribute good working example code
to the archives of this mailing list, please, for everybody's benefit make sure
the code example works as expected.  Or, if it is to used as a guide to get the
person thinking, say that.

Jim Lucas