There could be many a reasons for this, and it really depends on your setup.
For example, is php and memcache on the same server, if they are not what is
the network topology like, it could be a piece of hardware starting to
malfunction, it could be an issue with the networking driver, on the other
hand it could be neither; but to help you figure out where to look, one
should hope to see a little bit more info...

~Alex