On 2/24/2011 3:01 AM, Dave M G wrote:
> PHP users,
>
> I obviously don't understand what array_walk_recursive does.
>
> Can someone break down in simple terms why the following doesn't work?
>
> - - -
>
> $karamohOutput['test'] = "";
>
> function test_print($item, $key)
> {
>     return "$key holds $item\n";
> }
> $karamohOutput['test'] .= array_walk_recursive($karamohArray, 'test_print');
>
> - - -
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

if you read the following page description of the function, you will see that
the function returns a bool value.  Not the return statement of your custom
function call.

http://us.php.net/array_walk_recursive

If you read the Note under the funcname section, you will see that when you call
the function, it will pass the value as a reference, so, change around your
function like this.

$karamohOutput['test'] = "";

# notice this .....>|
function test_print(&$item, $key)
{
    $item = "$key holds $item\n";
}
array_walk_recursive($karamohArray, 'test_print');

print_r($karamohArray);

Give this a try and let us know.

Jim Lucas