it was as complete as need be to demonstrate my dilemma, as Richard has
discovered above
"Frank Arensmeier" <farensme...@gmail.com> wrote in message

23 mar 2011 kl. 02.42 skrev Jim Giner:

> ok - here's the code in question.
> $q = 'select * from director_records ';
> $qrslt = mysql_query($q);
> $rows = mysql_num_rows($qrslt);
> for ($i=0; $i<$rows; $i++)
>    {
>    $j = $i+1;
>    $row = mysql_fetch_array($qrslt);
>    echo $j.'-'.$row['userid'];
>    if ($row['user_priv']<> "")
>        echo ' ('.$row['user_priv'].')&#13&#10';
>    else
>        echo '&#13&#10';
>    }
>

> The output I get is:
>

> 1-smith5
> f-ginerjm (M)
> g-smith8
>
> While the alpha parts are valid, the index is only correct for the first
> one
> (0) obviously.

Why not try some basic debugging strategies and see what you get?

Try:
for ($i=0; $i<$rows; $i++)
   {
   var_dump($i);
   $j = $i+1;
   $row = mysql_fetch_array($qrslt);
   echo $j.'-'.$row['userid'];
   var_dump($j);
   if ($row['user_priv']<> "")
       echo ' ('.$row['user_priv'].')&#13&#10';
   else
       echo '&#13&#10';
   }

The output you've posted, that's rendered output, right? What's the raw
output?

By the way, the code snippet you gave us is not complete. Is there anything
else? As Dan noticed earlier, judging from that code snippet only, there
must be something else funky going on.

/frank