On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:31 PM, mrfroasty wrote:

> On 04/03/2011 08:41 PM, Jason Pruim wrote:
>>
>> So the subject says it all... And yes I know this isn't related to PHP but
>> it's the weekend and I trust the opinions on this list more then any other
>> list I have seen. I've been doing alot of reading on XML and honestly it
>> looks pretty cool... BUT the question is... Is it truly useful or is it just
>> another layer that we have to write?
>>
>> From what I can tell it looks like it could stabilize some of my programming
>> in regards to databases, and possibly if I have to move information from one
>> application to another.
>>
>> But is it worth the added coding or should I just interact with the pieces
>> directly?
>>
>> Thoughts? Questions? Flames? :)
>>

> Not sure about specific situations, but if I have to write my own application
> to application data transfer i wouldnt add such a complexity.I would just
> create my own data like objects/arrays serialized and send them over via http
> post or any easy means.And i will be done in few minutes, problem solved!.
>
> I have once created orders in xml for myself and send over via ftp to another
> application.But this was just due to a fact that I had the scripts in place
> to do the job.It looks much matured though, than if I had transfer the orders
> in text format.
>
> But as I said, this depends on particular situations and problem on the
> table.All cases where I worked with xml, were me receiving data from client
> either via soap,xml files etc.Here I have no choice I have to work with xml
> ofcourse.
>
> P:S
> **How could you stabilize your scripts by adding xml ?

I was thinking along the lines of using it as a intermediary.. Basically make a
system that would take my raw data, throw it into XML, and then out to the web,
database, or something else I haven't thought of.. If I was going into database
I could create an abstraction layer using XML and format all the data before
inserting it into specific fields...

Now that I typed it I'm not sure it would work like I want it to.... But that
was my thinking at the time.

Although I could write a system that would generate the XML from content in a
database and then parse it as an rss feed, and insert it into a calendar
system... (If that was needed)

Right now the question is purely academic  so I'm coming up with this stuff as
I'm typing hehe :)