On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 14 April 2011 at 07:11, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Stuart Dallas <stu...@3ft9.com> wrote:
> > > On Wednesday, 13 April 2011 at 19:47, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> > > I never make any assumptions about the source of any data when I'm
> developing software, whether in PHP or not. Returning to a previous point,
> usage of global variables as the source of data anywhere other than the
> initial script a request hits is tantamount to negligence. But that's just
> my opinion.
> > Who said you should make assumptions. One thing you know is that $_POST
> was populated by the contents of HTTP POST, or most of it anyways, lol.
>
> Again, I don't see how that "knowledge" is useful?

you know what doesn't belong there.

>  > Here's an example, suppose you have an object, any object in php should
> let you dynamically create a public member variable on it on the fly unless
> there's an explicit override in __get().
> >
> > $oXml = new
> SimpleXmlElement('<vendor-data><content>real-data</content></vendor-data>');
> >
> > now someone decides to use it to store something clever, because they
> can, and it's so much easier than creating an appropriate location
> >
> > $oXml->myCleverValue = 'something unrelated';
> >
> > whoops the client web service stopped processing our request successfully
> because the clever new node inadvertently broke the validation against the
> xsd.
> >
> > or I'm running through some code and see it in a for loop
> >
> > foreach($oXml as $node => $value)
> >
> > but I don't see any clever value in the docs from the vendor..
> >
> > Separation of concerns for data. The same reason you have a typical
> directory structure on an operating system and the same reason you don't
> have 10 projects all in the same vcs repository. but nothing is written in
> stone..
>
> Whoa, whoa, whoa! At what point did I say I think it's ok to put arbitrary
> data into $_POST?

when you suggested to OP to put the result of a query into $_POST.

> As I said in a previous email, I was responding to the OP's question which
> was essentially "is it possible to fake a form post" and the answer is yes

the question was more like, how do i abstract the input for a template such
that it can be supplied data via $_POST in one case and the result of a
select in another.

> I have at no point advocated using $_POST for data that you simply want to
> be globally available.

you've recommended populating $_POST with data that has nothing to do with
HTTP POST, it is by nature globally available.

-nathan