I have a file download 'guardian' page which does something like this:

$size = filesize($path);
$fi = @finfo_file($path, FILEINFO_MIME_TYPE);
@header('Content-type: ' . $fi);
@header('Content-Length: ' . $size);
@readfile($path);
exit;

($path is derived from parameters in the request, including checks for nasties and some access control checks in the system)

When a link is clicked which points to this script, the file is downloaded (well and good...), but in Firefox (3.x, 4.x at least), it seems to block any further interaction with the browser until the download is complete - some of the files are 60Gb and the server is on a 2mbit line, so it can take some time to download.

Is there something on the Apache/PHP end that might be causing this blocking? (Apache 2.2.10, PHP 5.2.14) I suspect not, since using Chrome as the browser doesn't appear to have the same problem, but I wondered whether there was some way that FF was handling the headers might be causing it. I can't seem to devise a suitable Google search to get any mention of similar behaviour so I thought I'd ask some experts :)

--
Peter Ford, Developer                 phone: 01580 893333 fax: 01580 893399
Justcroft International Ltd.                              www.justcroft.com