Business e-mail did not start with Outlook. Businesses have been using e-mail long before it even showed up as an option. The de jure standard on the Internet before that time, and before several other clients came about was either bottom posting or intermixed responses. This was true in e-mail, Usenet postings, and other similar things. Mailing lists have been around for a long, long time and the reasons things are done that way is pretty well established. Now, however, not everyone who comes along is aware of and certainly was not party to the discussions that happened back then about how best to do things. But there are reasons beyond just mere "it's the way we do it" and most certainly beyond "it's the way my mail client acts".