In addition to the info below, I would caution you to do some research on
password hashing.
MD5 and SHA-1 are both known to be compromised because they are too fast.
OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project) is a great resource for
security research.

There are many hashes available, if you have PHP 5.3+ look into bCrypt
(built into PHP 5.3+ as CRYPT).
The CRYPT_BLOWFISH option is the best choice.
A good article is here:
http://yorickpeterse.com/articles/use-bcrypt-fool/

Otherwise, use this code to see a list of your available algorithms. You
also want to make sure
to research salting and stretching of your hash if you are unable to use
bCrypt.

<?php print_r(hash_algos()); ?>

You might also want to look into PHPASS if you have a version of PHP
previous to 5.3.
Although it will default to using MD5 for older versions, the salting and
stretching of the hash are what make it more
secure, not the algorithm itself (seems to be a bit of controversy on this
point).
* Note that if you use PHPASS, once you do upgrade to 5.3+, it will default
to the CRYPT_BLOWFISH option.

Cheers!
Jen