On 14 Sep 2011 at 12:40, Richard Quadling <rquadl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 September 2011 01:23, tamouse mailing lists
> <tamouse.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Robert Cummings <rob...@interjinn.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm a big fan of editors that work in the terminal.
>>
>> You'll get my emacs when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.
>
> Pah! You and your full screen editor.
>
> EDLIN is the way to go.

Is that more or less terse than TECO?

Back in 1989 when I was at SLAC, they were just getting into unix, and debates
were raging about which editor to standardise on and teach people (emacs, vi,
jove, etc). Because this wasn't settled, I started using notepad (and later,
dxnotepad) and got on with coding. Six months later, the debates were still
raging. I then had an epiphany: I'd been using notepad for six moths & got work
done. It took me 5 minutes to find out how to use it. I didn't need teaching
about it or to have a manual. So IMO, emacs, vi, and all their ilk belong in
the dustbin of history.

--
Cheers  --  Tim