On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 17:08, Tedd Sperling <tedd.sperl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As such, I need information regarding how wide-spread PHP is (i.e., number of
> installations), who's using it (i.e., companies, organizations), and how it
> compares with other Web Languages (i.e., ASP, Ruby, etc.).

    There's no really good metric in recent history (since about
Netcraft's 2007 survey, I guess) that shows PHP's installation figures
--- not even a general representation.  Back in early 2009 (as in,
almost three years ago), I used Google's 'filetype' filter to get an
approximation and posted the results on this list and on one of my
sites[1].  I'm working on finishing a new version of my own software
which will sample millions of domains and query them to see if they
report having PHP installed as well, but I don't expect those results
to be available for some time to come.  I have, however, been thinking
of making it a real-time counter, which would then show the stats as
things run.

    As for who's using it, that's a question with an unending answer.
Facebook was built in PHP, which is perhaps the most glaring argument
by itself, and one to which most folks can instantly relate, as
they're more likely to be a user than not, according to Facebook's
market saturation statistics.  Other sites and companies include
Yahoo!, Google, NBC, Verizon, and - as you know - LCC-MAHE.  On top of
that, what most folks may not realize, is that the White House website
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/) uses Drupal, which is also written in
PHP.  In fact, a fun fact for now is that regular freelance developers
aren't the only ones who drop the ball sometimes and let error
messages display on the web.  So does the White House[2].

    Other US government body websites that have used and/or continue
to use PHP include the US Congress, the Library of Congress, the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the Department of Justice
(DOJ), most state government websites, and all five branches of the
armed services.

    ^1: http://links.parasane.net/nc8d
    ^2: http://links.parasane.net/zdzu

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Dedicated Servers, Cloud and Cloud Hybrid Solutions, VPS, Hosting