@Andy and George

>From the layout of the official manual, whilst it doesn't have the
traditional method of explaining as textbooks, to me, it does however
progress as you mentioned:

"Installation and Configuration" - same as any PHP book I've seen though the
other books may not explain all different methods and/or different platforms
as the official.  +1

"Language Reference"
- Basic Syntax
- Types
- Variables
- Constants
- Expressions
- Operators
- Control Structures
- Functions
- etc...

@George,

As for morning commute, if you're driving, you shouldn't be reading
anything. :) That's why I mentioned 'print'.  Printing as you read/progress
means carrying less than entire book.  Any decent book will range in about
400+ pages.  Another good side to printing as you go is that a thick book
wouldn't seem overwhelming for beginners as to how much information they
have to digest and absorb, especially someone who is new to IT and not used
to reading thick books/manuals.  As for the book giving real world
experiences, that's only to give you small idea of what you _may_
encounter.  Personally, I find that too broad and in depth to encompass in a
book unless it's a(n) auto/biography.  A good example to that is accessing
database.  How do you explain to someone new which he/she should use and
why:  straight access via client library, ODBC, PDO, abstraction/wrappers,
ORM, and/or any combination there of.  Although this requires some
understanding of PHP, I don't recall any book hinting or briefly explaining
all the possible methods of DB access.  A long time ago, I wrote an
abstraction wrapper that would allow me to access any DB that PHP supports
and allow simultaneous connections to same and/or different DBs because my
need was there.  That same wrapper would allow DB specific operations too.
IIRC, this was long before various PDO drivers, namely MS SQLServer, were
available and became popular.

For me learning PHP, the official manual is the only book that I've reached
the end.  Although, I have looked at other books including Beginning PHP *,
PHP * Bible, PHP * Cookbook, I've never completed from start to end
entirely, merely skipping around to see how the book explains some of the
key methods - primarily OOP and DB access - in event that something like
this would come up and I'd have to recommend a book :)

Regards,
Tommy

* implies 'and MySQL' or without