On 10/19/2011 7:00 AM, Jon Watson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to make some sense of this PHP5 security vulnerability notice
> from 18 October 2011:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.security.announce/1478
>
> It states that for Ubuntu 8.04 users, a PHP upgrade to 5.2.4 is required to
> take care of the security issues. It also states that for Ubuntu 10.04
> users, a PHP upgrade to 5.3.3 is required.
>
> For operational reasons, I am running 5.2.17 on Ubuntu 10.04 and cannot
> upgrade to PHP 5.3, Does anyone know if 5.2.17 is safe since evidently 5.2.4
> is?
>
> The security notice doesn't go into any real detail on the specific version
> numbers so I am having trouble understanding what needs to be done.
>
> Thanks.

This is discussing the packages distributed for Ubuntu X.X.  Sounds like what
you have is your own custom install.  If that is the case, the concern may still
apply, but it is going to be up to you to figure out what the security issue is
and verify your system in some manor.

--
Jim Lucas

http://www.cmsws.com/