On Oct 21, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Christopher Lee wrote:
> [1] Your naturalness is always endearing, even when you play grumpy.  ;-)
-snip-
> [2] What does truly uplifting/evolutionary code look like anyway?

Christopher:

[1] Thanks (I think). Perceptions are just that -- I could be wrong or looking
at this from the wrong perspective. I do know that many businesses are paying
attention to social networks as fields for harvesting new customers -- in that
respect I think social networks are worthy of consideration.

Personally, I find little interest in the new social media. In addition, I
often find it annoying and even presumptuous of people who post things and
in-turn expect me to acknowledge and respond to their post. It's like walking
down a crowded sidewalk and being required to say "Good Morning" to everyone
you meet. While it might be polite and politically correct, it's also a pain in
the ass and lacks honesty and purpose.

I say, why not better focus your "Good Morning" to the old person sitting on
bench who is being ignored by all passersby? Your time/attention has worth, use
it wisely.

[2] To me, uplifting and revolutionary code is simply re-inventing what's
current and making improvements in user interaction -- thereby expanding
programming into regions not yet touched. I've read much about the "mind v
machine" integration in countless books and actually seen this being addressed
in several different disciplines over the years -- to me, that is exciting,
uplifting, and revolutionary.

Or example, just this morning, my wife (a jeweler) received this link:

http://reflectionbeads.com/i/design-your-own

Please review that link -- IMO, the people who designed that application have
their thumb on the pulse of their customers.

So, my advice is to find something you like/know and make it easier for others
to use.

In my recommendation to the College (where I teach) to include PHP in their IT
curriculum, I wrote (in part):

-- quote --

The Internet is a World-wide phenomena that I need not expound upon other than
to say the knowledge of how to communicate effectively on the Internet is a
topic well worth the study. Internet communication is presented via Web Sites
and knowing how to create effective and useful Web Sites is the key to
successful Internet Businesses.

A Web Site need not be a static billboard on the Internet highway trying to
snag passersby, but instead it can become a fully functional application for
users to use and find solutions for their problems and needs. Finding and
fulfilling customer's needs is what Business is about. The Internet provides an
opportunity for Service Providers to optimize their efforts in finding
customers. This presents an unequaled opportunity in sales and service.

To properly use this new medium, Web Languages must be taught and mastered. No
single Web Language can fulfill all the needs of a fully functional Web Site.
Instead several languages must work in concert creating a symbiotic
relationship -- each language has its own scope, function, and limit.

A Web Site is like a House: There is the basic frame -- the 2x4 framing,
flooring, rafters, siding, and roof. That's HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language);
There is the siding types, the color of the paint, the type of flooring, and
the general looks of the house. That's CSS (Cascading Style Sheets); Then there
is the plumbing, electrical wiring, furnace for heating, and air-conditioning
for cooling. That's PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor); Then there is the operation
of the house such as electrical switches, doors and windows that open/close,
faucets that turn on/off, air-conditioning and furnace that turn on/off via
switches. That's JavaScript; And finally, there's the paperwork, such as the
Deed, invoices, payments, etc, and the place to store that data. That's MySQL
(the database).

Put all of those Languages together and you will have the workings of a fully
functional Web Site.

While I say that all languages should work together and none work in a vacuum,
it is noteworthy to point out that only PHP can build, create, and use all of
these languages. In other words, PHP (while serving it's own function) can
create code and use all the other languages as it wants. It is The Master
Language that can change any of the other languages depending upon programable
decisions. It can provide variables for languages that normally don't have
variables, such as HTML and CSS, and it can communicate with languages that do
have variables, such as Javascript and MySQL.

In short there is no limit to the scope of this most powerful Web Language --
it is THE Language of the Internet.

-- un-quote --

Now that you've picked the right language, what are you going to do with it?
THAT I find exciting.

Cheers,

tedd