On 12/30/2011 12:19 AM, ad...@buskirkgraphics.com wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Fatih P. [mailto:fatihpirist...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:10 PM
To: Frank Arensmeier
Cc: Eric Lommatsch; php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] Question about date calculations

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Frank Arensmeier
<farensme...@gmail.com>wrote:

29 dec 2011 kl. 22.22 skrev Eric Lommatsch:

So far in looking at the functions that are available at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.datetime.php I have not been able
figure
out how to do what I need to do.  Below is a snippet showing
approximately
what I am trying to do.
On the same page you are referring, there are plenty of examples on
how to
calculate the difference between two dates. Choose one and see if it
fits
your bill. Or is there any particular reason why you're writing your
"own"
function?

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.datetime.php#78981

/frank

since you have everything in database tables why not to do this
calculation
on database side which would be much appropriate place ?

/* columns
date_start = '2011-02-08';
date_end = ' 2011-03-04';
*/

select DATEDIFF(date_end, date_start);

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/date-and-time-
functions.html#function_datediff

I looked at this answer and see the date is from an array of a database and not
2 fields with in the table.
While the DATEDIFF() is very useful in queries this will not help you unless
both fields are in the table.

Try this example

$dteStartDate[$intCnt] = new DateTime($row[10]);
$dteEndDate[$intCnt] =new DateTime($row[11]);
$interval = $dteStartDate[$intCnt]->diff($dteEndDate[$intCnt]);
echo $interval->format('%R%a days');

well then look deeper in the question:

"I have a page I am trying to create where I am comparing the values of two
MySQL date fields with the current date. One of the *MySQL Date fields *is a class start date,*the other* is the class end date."

all needs to do is modify his query.