On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:57, Matijn Woudt <tijn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if the system PHP is running on not the same one as the one that
> is going to read the plain-text/CSV/.. files? I don't think it is good
> practice to use it when writing to files. I often write files on a
> Linux server that people are going to read on a Windows PC.

    Then what is the difference between PHP_EOL and forcing \n?  It's
still going to use POSIX-style EOLs, but now you've taken away the
benefit of the compatibility.

> Apart from that, most software written in the last 5-10 years will
> happily read files with either \n or \r\n line endings. I'm not really
> sure about Win XP for example, but if it would have a problem with the
> Linux \n endings, it might even be better to *always*  use \r\n line
> endings (except where standards require it), as I haven't seen a
> single Linux application since I started using it (about 9 years ago)
> that was not able to read a file with \r\n based line endings.

    You may want to check again.  Ever see ^M at the end of your
lines?  Or, in vim, notice how it says it's a DOS file?

> Even better, go Unicode. Unicode specifies that there are 8 ways to
> make a new line, and they should all be accepted. However, the pretty
> uncommon NEL, LS and PS are not supported in many applications.
> (though CR, LF and CRLF are).

    Nothing you've suggested is necessarily bad, but more to the
point, it doesn't come close to invalidating the benefit of PHP_EOL.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager