I don't how how you keep your data in your database but there is no need to
issues that many queries to retrieve your data. From what I understand the
data you want to display is hierarchical. Here's an article that will
hopefully point you to a solution (there are more out there, some better
than other, google mysql hierchical data or database hierarchical data).
The article I was talking about is here:
http://www.sitepoint.com/hierarchical-data-database/