On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> As this method requires an Apache restart, I don't see what advantage
> you have over using an .htaccess file?

Performance:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/htaccess.html

"You should avoid using .htaccess files completely if you have access
to httpd main server config file. Using .htaccess files slows down
your Apache http server. Any directive that you can include in a
.htaccess file is better set in a Directory block, as it will have the
same effect with better performance."

"...putting this configuration in your server configuration file will
result in less of a performance hit, as the configuration is loaded
once when httpd starts, rather than every time a file is requested."

Adam

--
Nephtali:  A simple, flexible, fast, and security-focused PHP framework
http://nephtaliproject.com