        $new_string = preg_replace($pattern, '<a href="http://$1";>$1</a>' ,
$string);

should do it -- don't *think* you need any pesky \ escapes in the
replacement, but could be wrong on that one, so please suck it and
see...

Cheers!

Mike

--
Mike Ford,
Electronic Information Developer, Libraries and Learning Innovation,

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm