No idea.  You haven't said whether you checked your phpinfo() output to
see if you are actually running the latest version of PHP you just
compiled.  Perhaps you forgot a "make install", perhaps you forgot to
restart your httpd.  Perhaps your configure didn't find libreadline.  Any
number of things could be wrong.  You will have to do a little bit of
digging on your own.

-Rasmus