On 12-08-10 02:49 AM, Matijn Woudt wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Jim Lucas <li...@cmsws.com> wrote:
On 8/9/2012 5:01 PM, Al wrote:

Getting "Too many open files" error when processing an email batch
process.

I've looked extensively and can't find more than about 100 files that
could be open.  All my fetching is with get_file_contents();

Why not use fopen() and other related functions to open/grap/close your
batch of files?

You could replace a call like this:

$data = file_get_contents($filename);

with this:

if ( $fh = fopen($filename, 'r') ) {
   $data = fread($fh, filesize($filename));
   fclose($fh);
}

This should take care of your issue.

Jim Lucas

Why on earth would you want to reinvent the wheel? There's no point in
saying that fopen/fread/fclose is better, in fact, let me quote from
the manual page of file_get_contents:
"file_get_contents() is the preferred way to read the contents of a
file into a string. It will use memory mapping techniques if supported
by your OS to enhance performance."

If your solution would fix the problem (I doubt, but ok), then you
should report a bug to the PHP devs that file_get_contents is broken.

It wouldn't fix the problem. Performing fopen/fread/fclose in PHP is slower than the same process implemented in C in the PHP engine. Thus the file will spend more time in the open state thus exacerbating the problem.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.