On Mar 15, 2013 9:54 PM, "Sebastian Krebs" <krebs....@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/3/16 Andrew Ballard <aball...@gmail.com>
>>
>> I suppose one could try something like this:
>>
>> if (is_string($val) && $val === (string)(int)$val) ....
>>
>> If $val is an integer masquerading as a string, it should be identical to
>> the original string when cast back to a string, shouldn't it? (I can't
try
>> it right now.)
>

> It is semantically equivalent to
>
> $val == (int) $val
>
> and as far as I remember (I didn't read everything completely) this were
mentioned. I didn't read, whether or not, it was accepted as solution ;)

Not quite. That method will massage both values to the same type for the
comparison. Whoever shot it down said they both go to int. If that's the
case,

if ($val == (int)$val)

is more like saying

if ((int)$val === (int)$val)

What I suggested converts the string to an int, the resulting int back to a
string, then does a type-specific comparison to the original string value.

Andrew