On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:20 AM, Tedd Sperling <t...@sperling.com> wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> I should know this, but I don't.
>
> Where is the /tmp/ directory?
>
> You see, I have a client where his host has apparently changed the /tmp/
> directory permissions such that old php/mysql scripts cannot write to the
> /tmp/ directory anymore -- they did at one time.
>
> So, how do I fix it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

This is one of those questions I look at sideways and think "they did WHAAAA???"

Anyway, /tmp is under / on most linux systems, /private/tmp sometimes; I've
encountered one system where it linked to /var/tmp, too. Try:

$ /bin/ls -ld /tmp

and see what it shows. -l is long listing, which will show permissions, if it's
symlinked, etc. -d will treat /tmp as a file rather than as a directory (which
would show the contents of /tmp).

Hopefully, they didn't delete the /tmp directory; but if they had, *many*
things would probably stop working….