"Richard Lynch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
050001c11be5$c93a81c0$6401a8c0@Lynchux100">news:050001c11be5$c93a81c0$6401a8c0@Lynchux100...
> >     setlocale(LC_ALL, '');
>
> >     putenv('LANG=fr');            /* <<< changed here */
> >     setlocale(LC_ALL, '');
>
> WILD GUESS ALERT!
>
> My gut says you need setlocale(LC_ALL, 'fr') or similar in the French
one...

After much fiddling, I found that, for some reason, I always need to use the
"long" version of the language codes.  "LANG=fr" didn't work, but
"LANG=fr_FR" did.

I then need to pass '' or 'fr_FR' to setlocale(), and all is working.

Thanks for the guess, though. :)

- Colin