> Just to throw one more unwelcome cat amongst the pigeons..
>
> Different countries/time zones have summer time, I think almost all
> countries do, but the actual days when they switch vary from country (yes
> know, bloody nusiance isn't it?)
>
> I know as an example of this theres about three weeks of the year where
new
> york is 6 hours behing UK, and the rest its only 5.

And, of course, some countries have time-zones that are off by a HALF hour.
Yes, really.

USE THE BUILTIN FUNCTIONS

Somebody else has already gone to a great deal of trouble to get this
date/time crap right, and you don't want to do it yourself.

All the mktime() functions know about time zones, and all of them know
better than to give you nonsense dates.  They'll wrap-around quite nicely
for you.

--
WARNING [EMAIL PROTECTED] address is an endangered species -- Use
[EMAIL PROTECTED]