hmm...yes, it does work, I jumped the gun on the simple example, cuz I
thought it was an echo problem..
my un-simplified example has an opendir() in function foo() file.

function.php is:
<?php
        function foo{
        global $bar;
        echo "$bar from foo"; //this is working
        $handle=opendir("$bar/common/"); // I get a "OpenDir - no such file or
directory"
        //some more stuff here to handle directory maniuplaion
        }
        foo();
?>

so the simple example does indeed work, but the opendir() is choking trying
to deal with the variable.

hmmm...

jaxon