Let's see if I can elaborate a little on my previous problem...

I work with 3 ISPs, 2 of which have Magic Quotes turned off (can someone
tell me why an ISP would want to have magic quotes turned off???).  If I
feed a large dump from one database into another (using phpMyAdmin) then on
the one with Magic Quotes turned ON there is no problem.  But WITHOUT magic
quotes turned on feeding a statement like this won't work:

INSERT INTO database ( fieldname ) VALUES ( 'bob's string' );

So... keeping in mind that it is fairly large dump, is there a way to
utilize addslashes() to get it to go in?  I've tried various addslash
combinations but can't seem to get it right.