I realize that this isn't a PHP issue, but I'd like find out they
why's/wherefore's of this:

The W3C HTM 4x spec(s) say that when using the file type on a form
input element, "User agents may use the value of the value attribute
as the initial file name."

I can't get Mozilla, Netscape, nor IE to do this. Here's my code:

<FORM ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" ACTION=<?=$PHP_SELF?>
METHOD="POST">