> I am using php 4.0.6 and i would rather not use global variables.

I hear ya.

After playing around with this, your approach works if register_globals is
set to off (I did this with an .htaccess file). I'm surprised by this. It
appears that the global version of a variable still overwrites the
HTTP_SESSION_VARS version when the script ends and the data is stored to the
session file, in spite of the change in this area in 4.0.6. This is not the
behavior I expected with this bug fix, but it appears to be the case. Since
your code never sets the global version of $FailedLogins, nothing gets
stored in the session.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like register_globals needs to be off
to use session variables the way your code does. In case you haven't done
this before, create .htaccess with this line:

php_flag register_globals off

All for me on this day. Good luck!

Kirk