This is the error I get. I tested in MYSQLadmin and there it works. I think
there is something with numrows.
MySQL Query Failed. Error 1030: Got error -1 from table handler

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: "ERISEN, Mehmet Kamil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] numrows

Hello,
Chris, with all due respect, DESC is a reserved word for
SQL. is english ORDER BY ID DESC meand sort by id in
descending order.

Martin,
your SQL seems to be fine. Are you sure that you are
connected to your database.
I have run the following SQL against my database
SELECT *
 FROM users
 WHERE username <> '1'
 AND user_id < 250
 ORDER BY user_id DESC
and it returned back records.  SO SQL syntax is fine.