Hello,

James wrote:

> We have several GUI applications that we are preparing to convert to
> web-based applications, based primarily on PHP.  The applications are based
> on Informix On-Line (on a SCO Unix server) and MS SQL (on NT).  Since we
> will be doing a port, in any case, I am wondering your thoughts on whether
> MySQL may be a better database solution.  This is particularly important
> from a price-performance point of view since the other two databases are
> quite pricy on a per-seat basis.

If you don't know yet, you'd better try different database to see which
is capable of doing what you need.

On solution that would not be compromising because it would let you
change you minds later is to use a database abstraction package that
would let you write applications that are portable between databases.
That way you may try different databases with the same code and make up
your minds when you feel ready.

You may want to try Metabase which is a PHP database abstraction package
that lets you write portable applications and among other databases
supports those that you meantioned.

Metabase is freely available from here:

http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/browse.html/package/20

Regards,