Heres what I have so far. I've put all the fiels into one folder, and i know
the paths are correct since they don't give an include error. The error
resides in line 6 of test.php where i try to call a function which is in
function.php

the test.php file :
_______________________________________
<?php
require("functions.php");
require("config.php");
require("init.php");

$id = get_total("news");

$row = get_newspost($id);

$row["news_subject"]

?>
_______________________________________

function.php file :
_______________________________________
<php

// Returns and array to the fields of a newspost of $id
function get_newspost($id) {
 $sql = "SELECT news_id, news_subject, news_news, news_date, news_image,
news_link, news_link_style FROM news WHERE news_id = '$id'";

 if(!$result = mysql_query($sql, $db))
  return("ERROR");
 if(!$row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  return("ERROR");

 return $row;
}

// Returns the total number of $type posts
function get_total($type) {
   $sql = "SELECT count(*) AS total FROM $type";

   if(!$result = mysql_query($sql, $db))
     return("ERROR");

   if(!$myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result))
     return("0");

   return($myrow[total]);
}
?>
_______________________________________

init.php file
_______________________________________
<?php

global $db;

// Connect to database and create $db tag
if(!$db = @mysql_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd"))
to the database. <BR>Please check $dbhost, $dbuser, and $dbpasswd in
config.php.');
if(!@mysql_select_db("$dbname",$db))
the phpBB installation script.");

?>

config.php file  (info replaced with ### for security sorry):

<?php

// Database Information
$dbname = "######";
$dbhost = "######";