I couldn't help but frown at this message...  This is typical of this and
hundreds of other lists... instead of learning the language, people just
jump in, try to write code, and then when something doesn't work, it's the
language's fault...  It absolutely amazes me that such a huge number of
people don't bother reading the manual or even attempt learning the
basics...

global variables have to be declared in functions.  It's a basic fact, and
should've been learned before even attempting a line of code...