>Is php.ini readable?
>
>Any messages in your Apache error log?

No messages in the apache error logs.

>Are you 100% sure you really killed Apache and restarted?...  I've
>had cases
>where I managed to install the new Apache in a different location,
>and ended
>up with two different sets of httpd's running.  Quite disconcerting.

I am positive.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
I have never touched the apache installation.  I am currently under the
impression that compiling
with --with-config-file-path=/etc/httpd/conf/php.ini has screwed up the
install.  That is unless someone has any other ideas?

My first question really is if the php install doesn't find the php.ini does
it use built in defaults?  That would help explain why my changes aren't
active.

I asked this because I noticed when I made changes to the session
configuration they were never realised in the pages I am running.

brett