Hi,

Just to throw in a curve-ball, IMHO, there is no point looking at
pre-built layouts and templates.

Why?

1. The end product will not look unique or different.  It will look the
same as the other 5000 sites who found that same template.  Worse still,
if your charging a client, they're paying for a non-unique design (even
if the "design" wasn't charged out).  if it was client based work, I'd
advise telling them that they're getting a freebie layout design.  Sure,
they may like that, but not when you tell them it'll be as generic as an
milk bottle, and probably already exists 100-5000 times elsewhere on the
net (where people are stuggling to stand out in the crowd already).  My
clients would rather pay for a few hours of design time and get
something even half original which meets their needs.

2. Out-of-the-box templates (especially free ones) tend to look like
just that.  Generic enough to be adaptable on a large number of sites,
with varied content, with minimal fuss.

2. In my 7+ years of interface design, graphic design, and web
development I have never designed the same site/page twice.  The fact
is, the client, the content, their identity and the site's needs will
allways dictate a different layout/design.

However LOOKING at them for ideas and inspiration may be just what you
need... in fact, I do it all the time... I'm contantly looking at
layout/interface design, cataloging it all in my brain.  When it comes
time for a new design, I can blend all those ideas up and build
something unique and purpose built for the client.

Just my two cents worth!!

Justin French