As others have mentioned, output buffering is
what you want to look at.

I've been doing some minor research on CF the past couple weeks,
and it seems that CF, by default, always has output buffering on.  While
it's great for allowing redirects/header info to be pushed out wherever
in a script, it apparently also consumes more memory, as the engine
needs to keep a full copy of the output in memory before pushing it down.

While there are definitely systems where this is desired, it's an option
in PHP,
but doesn't seem to be one in CF.  (If anyone can tell me differently -
which CF
tag to use to toggle it on/off - please let me know).

http://www.php.net/ob_start would be a place to start reading about
output buffering, and the zend.com article is good as well.