The net is slow right now as there is another Microsoft IIS worm/virus floating
around.  This one is worse than Code Red in the amount of traffic it
generates, something to effect of 10 requests a second, compared to one
with Code Red.  While php.net is not running IIS, it is subject to these
probes and it is bringing traffic to a crawl.  I have two servers here, one
runs IIS for my ASP clients and the other runs Mandrake for the real work.
The IIS box is (while not affected) getting hammered, but  the
Mandrake box just ignores it, still it is traffic we don't need.