Liam,
Assuming that you control the content that you are going to be feeding
into your column 1, I would set your page up such that it accepted a
variable passed in as part of the index.php url.
I would then establish separate files on the server for anything that
you would want as a choice of coming up in column1.
So the javascript function might be the default function, we'll call it
"def".  You might have a few other choices that the user could choose
"choice1", "choice2", and "choice3" (these would be the data that the
user is requesting, and that you want to appear in column1).
Then I would modify the javascript such that it directs the user to
"index.php?pg=choice1" if the user clicks on choice1.
Then I would modify the index.php page such that if no valid value is
passed in for $pg, it does an include("def");
However, if a valid value is passed into $pg, you would just do
include($pg);

Sorry for the poor explanation, does this help though?
Rick