The CGI (.exe) version will not scale up well for a busy server.
Each time a page is requested, PHP.EXE is fired up, does its thing, and
quits.
In the ISAPI model, PHP is a DLL that gets glomned on to IIS, and is just
always there.

Alas, many of the third-party DLLs are not yet thread-safe, so you can't
safely *USE* ISAPI without extensive testing to be sure all the DLLs you
need will work in ISAPI mode. (They're fine in CGI mode since a separate
PHP.EXE runs for each script.)

If your site is "fast enough" leave it alone -- If not, switch to ISAPI and
test like crazy.

Oh.  There are, like, four or five things you can't do with CGI:

http://php.net/virtual (http://php.net/exec and brethern will often suffice,
but they don't work on all Windoze either...)

HTTP Authentication in PHP (You can use, err, whatever IIS does for that)

Some esoteric function nobody needs anyway.

Some fourth thing that's fairly common, not real critical, and I can't
remember.

--
WARNING [EMAIL PROTECTED] address is an endangered species -- Use
[EMAIL PROTECTED]