your server has to open a connection to a remote host to see if there are
messages ? like email ? if this is so then use cron once every so often to
check if there are new messages. if the remote host makes a connection to
your server the use tcp_wrappers to call your php script.

the second script can NOT use the first apps socket, sockets arent shared
like that.

yes, sending and recienveing should be ok, any data backed up will just be
stored in buffers.

--

  Chris Lee
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]