If I'm reading your snippet correctly, then :

  $foo = 'bar';
  $bar = array('apple','banana');

  print ${$foo}[0]; // apple

Note the use of {braces}.  The last paragraph in the manual describes this
a bit :

  http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.variable.php

Although I don't see the point of $newvar as you're keeping track of $a in
the array itself.  Looks like the below code will create a ton of
variables (arrays) each with one $a as the single key.  Just using
$finalresult may be more appropriate, hard to say.

And some tips :

  $arr[foo] will create an error/warning here, $arr['foo'] will not.
  "$foo" isn't as pretty as $foo

regards,
Philip Olson