Stephane,

One possibilety is to have a script which does the sending - checking
against a db to see what to send out, having it called periodically from a
cron job.

I have built a (very) simple little daemon for doing jobs like this, it
works similarly to cron except it is easier to programmaticly add and remove
jobs. It also works on a linear time idea, rather than periodic like cron,
so you can ask it to schedule a job a specific time offset from now, or at
an absolute time (like cron). This is part of a package i've been working on
for a while for defining & managing processes like you describe below.

Lukas